Built in 1893, Arhontiko is an excellent example of 19th century inland Cretan architecture. Arhontiko played an important role throughout the recent history of Arhanes. During the Cretan revolt against Turkish rule, in 1897, it was used as the barracks and headquarters of the Regiment of Select Cretans under the command of Ioannis Dafotis.
At the beginning of the 20th century it accommodated the needs of the community of Arhanes for an elementary school for several years. Arhontiko has been restored with care and respect to its original architectural elements, thus giving a new meaning to ‘traditional’. The CACG (Central Archaeological Council Of Greece) has characterized ‘Arhontiko’ as a Protected Traditional Building.